What we do?
The GED Project aims to institutionalize the energy management activities within the public sector buildings in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Those activities are in line with the European Union directives (Energy Service Directive, EPBD directive), and the Energy Community Treaty.
At the beginning of the Project, local authorities and relevant ministries lacked human and financial resources to cover these activities.
Therefore, focus was made towards cantonal and entity governments, as a first step towards institutionalization of energy management and Energy Efficiency Action Plans in the public sector.
The GED Project is creating favorable conditions for investments into energy efficiency measures while contributing to the market development and economic progress of the country.
The outcomes are:
- Public budget expenditure savings
- Employment of domestic workforce
- Reinvestment in local infrastructure and priorities
- Environment protection
- End-user indoor comfort
The GED Project has six components:
I. Strengthen Institutional Capacities
- Capacity building for Nearly Zero Energy Buildings
- Provide technical assistance to the Environmental Funds
- Develop and strengthen technical and economic capacities of municipalities, public facilities, public utilities and enterprises
- Develop energy intensity mapping application and introduce monitoring & verification module within the Energy Management Information System (EMIS)
II. Institutionalization of Energy Management
- Introduce EMIS in all public buildings
- Implement EMIS in public lighting systems
- Capacity building of end-users
III. Establish Financial Mechanisms and Legislative Framework
- Assist Environmental Funds with the development of financial mechanisms with their own finance - Revolving Fund, soft loans and Energy Service Company (ESCO) Fund
- Assist governments in creation of secondary legislation on energy-efficiency and energy management
IV. Implement Infrastructure Measures
- Implement energy-efficiency retrofits, renewable energy measures, solar hot water and photovoltaic systems in public sector buildings, and energy efficiency in public lighting systems
V. Raise Public Awareness
- Increase public awareness on energy efficiency and renewable energy
VI. Install Renewable Energy Sources for Off-grid Households
- Install hybrid photovoltaic and solar system solutions to remote areas without electricity