represents an urgent action on the disposal of ammunition unsafe for further storage as well as ammunition that is highly prone to proliferation. The project was initiated in 2015 as a complementary and more flexible multi-donor project platform to support ongoing EXPLODE project, while currently complements the wider intervention executed through the European Union Assistance to Stockpile Management, Technical Support, and Ammunition Surplus Reduction (EU STAR), project implemented by UNDP and funded by the European Union.
EXPLODE+ project was designed in such a way that it supports the MoD/AF of BiH in the effort to reduce the ammunition surplus, which is not safe for storage and poses a threat to both the environment and the population. Project activities are performed under the framework of, the EUFOR coordinated, Ammunition, Weapons and Explosives Master Plan (AWE Master Plan), a coordinating mechanism of all partners engaged in dealing with the establishment of sustainable ammunition and weapons stockpile management system of MoD/AF BiH.
EXPLODE + Project components:
- Disposal of remnants of war - to improve security in BiH and support to defense and security reform processes in BiH including democratic governance of security and defense sectors;
- Capacity development of the AF BiH personnel - to safely handle ammunition in order to take full ownership of the ammunition surveillance process; and
- Safety infrastructure upgrades - for improved conditions of ammunition and weapon storage facilities as a part of establishing sustainable ammunition surveillance management system and as a prevention of unplanned explosions and proliferation of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) and corresponding ammunition.
Since 2015, Project EXPLODE+ has been funded by the Federal Republic of Germany, the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Kingdom of Norway, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and US State Department in amount of $ 5,593,908 in total. These financial means aided in:
- Disposal of over 1,200 tonnes of various types and calibres of unsafe ammunition and explosive ordnances,
- Training of over 200 personnel of MoD/AF BiH on: contemporary military standards in the field of ammunition stockpile management, usage of ammunition disposal machinery at the Technical workshop for ammunition overhaul and disposal in TROM, Doboj, firefighting and safety at work.
- Infrastructure upgrades of:
- 3 facilities within TROM, Doboj;
- 5 ammunition storage facilities at Ammunition Storage Site (ASS) Krupa Hadžići
- Security doors replacement conducted on 7 ammunition storage facilities at ASS Kula Mrkonjić Grad.
Goals moving forward
- Expeditious disposal of the remaining unstable and hazardous ammunition on a case-by-case principle in order to deal with the most complex ammunition items and system that cannot be processed in AF BiH facilities;
- Further improvement of the conditions of weapons and ammunition storage depots for establishment of sustainable ammunition stockpile management system of MoD/AF BiH; and
- Know-how transfer to MoD/AF BiH on best ammunition disposal practices