What we do?
The overall objective of the Project is long-term reduction of CO2 emissions and improvement of local population living standard by supporting the sustainable use of wood biomass through strategic action, establishment of market value chain framework and awareness rising of general public on positive aspects of utilization of this energy source.
Project strive to contribute to the overall tCO2 emission reduction per capita in BiH for 3% by the year 2030, based on the globally accepted baseline of the year 1990 (emissions of 8.97 tCO2 per capita). According to the Emission Database for Global Atmospheric Research (EDGAR), total emission per capita in BiH in 2014 amounted to 6,18 tCO2.
Project contributes to the following:
- Enhancement of secure energy supply
- Foster the development of enterprises for processing locally available wood biomass
- Set up sustainable partnerships, that contribute to the economic development of micro-regions.
The project has been implementing through following three components:
- Development of polices for sustainable wood biomass utilization - reviewing of legislation in forestry and energetic sectors, support to the preparation of adoption of appropriate legislative framework, revision of Renewable energy action plans, strengthening the capacities of decision-makers, private sector representatives and local communities in the segment of wood biomass in BiH.
- Improve the quality and availability of the wood biomass, as an energy carrier for heating purposes – establishment of an multi-disciplinary coordination mechanism of relevant institutions from forestry and energetic sectors in BiH, mapping and quantification wood biomass exploitation, support to the establishment of forest governance mechanisms to increase utilization of wood biomass for energy purposes, awareness rising of general public on positive aspects of utilization of wood biomass in BiH.
- Realization of renewable energy infrastructure projects – development of business models and financial mechanisms for financing infrastructural wood biomass fuel switch projects in public buildings, establishment of the wood biomass Innovation Centre, installation of new heating systems on wood biomass in four (4) public buildings in BiH.