In period 2009-2012, UNDP has been one of the leading agencies promoting Energy Efficiency in Bosnia and Herzegovina, primarily acting within MDG-F Environment and Climate Change programme. Focus of our work was on piloting introduction of energy efficiency in the public sector across Bosnia and Herzegovina by implementation of replicable energy efficiency projects and introduction of EMIS into more than 550 public buildings.
Also, UNDP focused on CO2 emission reduction, preservation of limited natural resources, enabling budget savings, improving quality of life, and creation of new employment opportunities – “green jobs”, assist local administrations level for absorption of new funds, increase awareness and create understanding for energy efficiency and its resulting benefits.
During this period, total of 38 Energy Efficiency pilot projects (small to medium/high scale) were implemented across the country with following results:
- Total of 664 man/months of employment achieved by implementation of EE/RES measures that created €350,000 worth in salaries.
- More than 700,000 USD are saved annually thanks to decreased energy consumption costs.
Scale up of these MDF programme activities is continued through new GED project. GREEN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT project officially started in September 2013. As mentioned before, main goal is to create favorable environment for investment into energy efficiency infrastructure measures while generating “green jobs”. All this contributes to the market development and leads to an economic prosperity increase.
The project is being implemented through five components:
• Strengthening the capacity of institutions - training, capacity building and the provision of technical assistance to funds, and the formation of the Association of Thermal Power Engineers.
• Institutionalization of the energy management - introduction of the EMIS system in public buildings, education of end users, monitoring of the achieved savings and creation of a legal obligation on the monitoring of consumption in public buildings.
• Establishment of a legislative framework - creation of bylaws and financial mechanisms with the Environmental Protection Funds in order to create a sustainable system of financing of projects in the field of energy efficiency.
• Implementation of infrastructural measures - objectives of these measures are energy savings, employment of local labor, increase of comfort in public buildings, savings in the budgets, and the possibility of reinvestment of saved funds.
• Raising public awareness about energy efficiency - a series of activities for the purpose of education of citizens about energy efficiency, energy-saving potentials and reduction of costs.
Goals achived in the first project year:
• 48 detailed energy audits conducted on public buildings all over Country;
• 14 infrastructure projects implemented in order to increase energy efficiency in public buildings;
• EMIS System introduced in more than 1,000 buildings in BiH;
• CO2 emissions reduced by a minimum of 850 tons per year;
• About 250 man / months of local labor force created;
• USC created the Decision on compulsory data input in EMIS.
SWEDEN’s project contribution
The Swedish government has recognized the value of the project, and since 2015, contributed financially in the following components of the project:
- Conducting detailed energy audits;
- Implementing infrastructure projects;
- Public awareness raising.
Expected results of project till 2018:
- Financial mechanisms which enable the investments in EE are established within Environmental Funds;
- Over 140 detailed energy audits are conducted;
- At least 85 projects of infrastructure measures to increase energy efficiency are implemented;
- Introduction of Energy Management Information System (EMIS) in over 5,000 facilities in BiH;
- Increased public awareness on energy management, energy efficiency and reducing CO2 emissions;
- Reduced energy consumption of public buildings by 50% and reduced CO2 emissions by 4,500 t;
- More employees - creating green jobs in the equivalent of 400,000 KM per year;
- Sustainable system at all levels of government, which will lead to a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, improving EE in public buildings and reinvestment of savings is established.